Sunday, January 30, 2011

More and Less

I understand there live people in the world who eat when they're hungry and quit when they're full. They sleep when they're tired and get up when they awaken. I don't fall into these categories. I eat all of the time and sleep until I have headaches. I ascribe to the theory that if one bite is good; more is better. Forget napping - I'm down for the count on a Sunday afternoon.

I don't really grasp the concept of savoring one treasured morsel. If it's that good, move aside the dainty bowl and hand me the pint and a big spoon. You can also forget the tiny 100 calorie healthy snacks. My grandmother often says, "Just push yourself away from the table - for heaven's sake." She is from the South after all. Well, I do push away. After I vow I'll never eat again because I have overindulged.

I know I have company out there. After all, we live in a jumbo world of more. More square footage; fries; caffeine - all the better. More cars, vacations and botox - all the best. Some probably believe that the more contacts in their Blackberries and Friends on Facebook - absolutely better than the best. Of course, these may be the same people who put their forks down when full.

As for me, I do grasp the concept that there is one time when less is more and that's when it comes to real friends. It's not the numbers of mass acquaintances who keep social calendars full. It is simply - the few who never say never. The ones who don't ask what can be done; they just do. The ones who fill in your aging memory while sharing that you haven't aged. The ones who have been and will always be regardless of location or circumstance.

Maybe a day will come when I can put into action the notion that more is not better when it comes to food; it's only more. Until then, one thing I do know - less is more when it matters most.

1 comment: