Sunday, December 20, 2009

More

In this supersize, upsize, upscale world in which we are immersed, holiday gift buying has morphed into quests for the biggest and best. And yet during this Season, I have already experienced that the best gifts come from the biggest hearts and in the shape of cobalt blue irises and time.

The rotund earthen planter was hand crafted and stood about 12 inches tall. A cool beige background formed the backdrop for a variety of flowing irises atop forest green stems and leaves. Soft, irregular scalloped curves formed the rim and I recalled in an instant the shopping trip with my mother where I first saw it, wanted it, and watched her carry it out the door. In fairness, she did ask if I planned on purchasing the extraordinary planter. But I declined so she became the owner.

My mother and I have an established tradition of annual visits in the heat of the summer with at least one day devoted to shopping favorite antique stores. I don’t know when this tradition began but I know that summer is not complete without the trip and our time together. Time is a chameleon with extraordinary power. He changes all things and heals people. He can stand still or fly. Time is counted in the tick of a family’s heirloom grandfather clock, displayed as digital numerals, or measured in grains of sand falling through the hourglass. But for all of Time’s miraculous powers and measurements, I never knew He had shape and could be wrapped for Christmas until I uncovered it under festive wrapping and shiny bows and spotted the vibrant cobalt blue irises gracing the beige surface.

As I stared again at the coveted planter, I knew I would always remember the time with my mother each summer; days filled with old traditions and new experiences and endless conversation. I would remember a selfless gift. I would remember a mother’s love.

I think of all the worry being spent on purchasing the latest gadget or spending the right amount of money and then again, I look at the planter. The simple shape and earthen texture grounds me in my knowledge that more is better and bigger when it comes in the shape of giving more time; sharing more love; and making more memories.

1 comment:

  1. a mother always knows does she not? It was best that she bought and gave, that way the planter was abel to reflect the love twice!!

    Cmm50

    ReplyDelete