Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Big Tree

Last night I co-hosted a small holiday dinner party with a friend. Both of us abhor planning and schedules and commitments away from work and during the process, we mixed up the date, farmed out invitation distribution and food coordination, and delayed all responsibility until the big day.

My friend stopped on the way over and picked up cleaning supplies that I couldn’t locate. Then in southern girl style, we watched the SEC football championship while cleaning, cooking, and ironing. One hour before we expected our guests, we decided to purchase a Christmas tree. Some twenty-two minutes later, the tree was on top of the car, and we rushed home so I could take a shower. Of course, there was no time to decorate a 12 foot tree. It was the biggest, fattest, tallest tree to ever grace my home. In fact, it was the first tree in many years to usher in the Season.

Over the course of the next four hours, we lived and laughed under the branches of the big tree. Without adornment, it stood watch over our festivities. I never once thought that it should be decorated. In fact, I never once thought about anything that night that should be different. I enjoyed the evening with friends, who ventured out to share a common love, brought together by common interests and common bonds. I enjoyed the present time without thinking back about picking up a tree earlier so it could twinkle in the background or cleaning days ahead of time so we could relax that afternoon. Last night was as it was supposed to be with the right people coming together at the right time gazing in wonder at the big tree.

This morning when I got up, I confess that I did move the tree into a different corner. Beyond that, I sit in wonder in its presence. Only here for a small window of time, I almost hear it whispering, “Live in the day, have peace in this blessed moment, and remember why I am here.”

Kneeling down to pour water into the tree stand, I think that I just might not decorate it. Even the most beautiful angels, stars, and birds would change the tree. I close my eyes and inhaling the strong evergreen scent, I think of family and friends. I don’t need to plan on what my house and my tree should look like tomorrow. In this day and in this heart, I have all that I need without adding shiny adornment to the plain and simple truths of the Season.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing -- so sorry I missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tribute to friendship and the recognition that it is indeed the simple things that we treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. tw said it all in one sentence.
    It was a sweet and touching story..well written as always

    cmm50

    ReplyDelete