Sunday, August 23, 2009

Peaceful Storm

The wind shifts and blows tendrils of grey clouds into each other until the sky morphs into one mass of billowing shades of light steel and black. Trees frenetically sway and leaves swirl and spin in rhythmic dances into the waiting arms of the ground below. I hear dead twigs rustling and snapping as sudden wind gusts shower acorns the color of faded olives onto the wooded path.

I stand in the shelter of forest canopy awaiting the storm. Lightning cracks in the distance and thunder’s loud rumble begins chasing away the week’s worries. The wind sends sprinkles of rain into the woods and I feel like a desert survivor receiving the first drops of life saving water. Curtained by an umbrella of foliage, I feel the sound shift from the voices of my problems to the sound of rain falling heavy, deafening even the smallest of thoughts. Plants and trees absorb the water as it races through leaves forming pools at the edges of exposed tree roots. The creek rises and rushes into the waiting yellow river it feeds.

All week, I sought and fought to find the elusive refuge of peace. Today, I search in the home of my heart looking among sturdy trunks and fallen giants. Leaving the wood’s protection, I step into the deluge of rain, open and exposed, and the storm drenches my soul washing away remaining vestiges of weariness and stress.

I stand prisoner feeling the storm’s absorbing and consuming power. And, what I find is that no matter how hard or long I search to capture the essence of peace - peace must first capture me.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for reminding us that peace can be found anywhere, as long as we remember to look inward, first. Your description of the weather and environment were spot on, and I felt as if I had been watered by the same rain.
    Please keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful.
    "Fallen giants" ... took my breath away.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoa. That's all I got. Totally whoa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hamblett2 stole my thunder, pun intended, peace can be found anywhere if you have found your center yet it is elusive and ephemeral if you have not. When you write you find peace..but what about other times. you need to practice finding peace in little things and putting that which you can't control behind you. Remember you can start your day over at any time, you can get back to your center at anytime. Find little things, your favorite song,the rare moment of quite during the day. Practice finding these moments and peace will come more often and last longer. Don't just rely on your keyboard to find peace, it is there if you look for it! you are a wonderful writer!
    cmm50

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my favorites. I also need to remember that peace can be found anywhere. Looking forward to the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh! This is fabulous! Love the acorns and olives image - wow! what a clever juxtaposition - and I love the thunder chasing away worries. Yeah, you don't argue w/thunder over something like that. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you are steadily gaining followers...keep on plugging away!!

    cmm50

    ReplyDelete