Sunday, August 2, 2009

Family Trees

This weekend, I traveled home to a place where the distance to arrive was measured not in miles but in memories. While my birth certificate does not say I was born in Appalachia, the welcoming embrace of the Great Smoky Mountains takes me back to a past not forgotten. In these mountains, I lived and lost; my family grew together and apart, and we are drawn back compelled by forces of love and nature to revisit this land and each other.

The sun peaks through the ancient forest’s lace work and shines down on an abundance of green leaves, moss and lichen. Summer rains have fed the myriad creeks and rivers until they violently churn against themselves spraying the river ferns and slamming white caps into boulders with a rising crescendo of sound and energy. I hear the soft breeze rustling through the leaves in the canopy while birds call to each other in harmony. A rock falls in the distance crashing against the banks before splashing into the river. The music of the woods is nature’s symphony.

My father, who has joined me for this latest trip, places his guiding arm around me for the photographer’s picture. I feel the comfort of the mountains as strong and sure as his hand. The click of the camera has captured a man and woman, a father and daughter, a daddy and little girl. We have changed with the mountains over the years. Time has worn its path down trails and streams and etched lines down our faces. But for an instant, we are the same as yesterday and today, and hold firm against tomorrow. Mountain and family, as connected as leaves on a tree, remain one.

5 comments:

  1. this is an attempt to post from cmm50

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to have been at peace when you wrote this.I could feel the love of your memories and I can see the little girlsafe and happy in her daddy's arms. This is obviously one of your happy places. retreat to it (the memories) often when you feel ill at ease. Happy memories are a form of msditation, they reduce stress and lighten your heart.
    cmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful picture you painted. You make me feel as if I were there watching. I look forward to reading this each week and can't wait until next time, defining a new moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! Your nature descriptions are so detailed and evocative. I esp. like your opening line about the birth cert. - and that sentence about your dad being as strong as the mountains - WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm soothed by this. Thank you for sharing the experience with us.

    ReplyDelete