Sunday, February 27, 2011

Emergency Preparedness

As winds begin gusting under a setting sun, tornado watches and warnings are appearing in black and red shades dotting the state map. The gloomiest of meteorologists begin talking about taking motorcycle helmets to closets. I sit under a cozy blanket by the fire wondering if I should take a shower and get dressed. I’m well prepared for disaster. Candles, matches, batteries, water, and weather radios – I have it all.

But how prepared are we for disasters that don’t come with sirens and notice? And what are the definitions for disasters? We stare at life and it stares back watching as jobs are lost, relationships fail and children disappoint. People don’t meet expectations and pets die. Sometimes, disaster happens in a second of time and the hours of life are changed forever. Disasters are self-defined. From a cake that doesn’t rise to a death in the family, each one of us may use the same terms for catastrophe of minor or major consequence.

I’m tired of planning for might be. I’m tired of catastrophizing. I’m just plain tired. And so my emergency plan is now to move forward secure with life lessons rather than armed with cases of green beans. I will focus on skills instead of purchases of beef jerky, vegetable seeds and solar powered showers.

My new preparedness tools begin with kindness to people - - they will be there for me in times of need. Non-judgmental attitude to others –- they may not judge me so harshly. Empathy for the downtrodden –-they may find me in their company when I need a helping hand. Compassion for the circumstances others find terrifying – -for surely, each definition belongs to the owner and is not mine to change.

Acceptance, openness, honesty. These are among the skills that will take us through life when it slaps us down because these are the ways in which friends are made and family is redefined. Life may find us opening a can of beanie weenies in the dark or crying under the sheets; but it’s only people who pick us up when we’re down and surround us with that which cannot be bought at the last minute-–Love.

2 comments:

  1. well written words to live by!

    DNT

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely, and beautifully composed. Thank you for sharing such an intimate part of your story with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete