Sunday, May 23, 2010

Golden Cross

Children hold onto security by grasping dirty blankets or fuzzy stuffed rabbits. They drag these possessions through life in the mud and rain; winter and summer. By the time they enter first grade, they leave behind these symbols of place and grasp their fathers’ or mothers’ hands. They learn to slowly let go and enter a new world where security is gone, comfort is unknown and friends have yet to be made.

Over time, confidence enters their young life and they grow into adulthood reaching to find old comfort in bank accounts, circles of friends or bands of gold.

I look for security in that which cannot be seen; in arms that cannot hold. I look into the sky and into my heart to find a presence that provides all the security I have ever needed. And yet, I still rub on the gold cross my grandparents gave me and slip the chain around my neck on days that I need to feel secure. On days that I can’t be seen with my old blanket or rabbit.

I’m hopeful – ever hopeful – that one day, I will no longer need a physical reminder of the love of God and His faithful security.

1 comment:

  1. nicely said...but totems are healthy reminder of your higher power when the world encroaches..they have the value of returning focus..not a bad thing!

    cmm50

    ReplyDelete