Sunday, February 7, 2010

Butterfly Net

Sometimes I wonder about unfulfilled dreams floating in the air as elusive as butterflies never caught in a net. I look back at life on scarred feet, running through soft green carpets and amidst sharp rocks, chasing an unseen future.

I want to live in the space between the past and the future. It is a present space defined in joy. It’s a place where anticipation belongs in an undefined dimension and regret belongs in another reality. It is a place where feelings soft as an old broken-in goose down comforter cocoons me in warmth. I would live in this space listening in silence to the tick of the clock reminding me that time does exist and I live within its boundaries.

I wouldn’t want to travel anywhere, but instead visit the places in my heart. It is there I clearly see the dreams as bright as endangered orange monarchs, dotted with irregular black spots, which somehow flew magically into my net. It is there I see the colors of my life flying on cobalt blue wings captured in a lifetime of dreams that I no longer have to chase. In this space, I would no longer search for unfilled destinies. In this moment, I would share and enjoy the beauty lying in my net.

2 comments:

  1. Identify "JOY" in the present can be a task for some. Negativity creeps in so easily for some, yet for others.....they can find even a small amount of JOY in everything. They are the lucky ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, you don't want to live in the space between the past and the future...that is dead space! You want to live in the possibilities of the future. You do that by making the future your goal...and your reality! Only you can grasp your future...so do it!!!

    cmm50

    ReplyDelete